Left Right
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Income Tax Help

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteers provide free, quality income tax preparation assistance to low and moderate income, elderly, disabled, and limited English speaking people. All the volunteers at the Student Legal Clinic have been trained and certified by the IRS.

Are You Eligible for VITA?

We CAN do:


  • Filing status: Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Jointly
  • Standard & Itemized Deductions
  • Income from W-2s, interest, scholarships/grants, unemployment compensation, social security
  • Credits such as the EIC, Child Tax Credit, Child and Dependent Care Expense Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, and American Opportunity Credit
  • Business Income or Loss
  • Non-employee income (1099-MISC/K)
  • HSA (Health Savings Account)
  • Some capital gains and losses, and
  • IRA and other retirement distributions or rollovers.
  • Filing status: Married Filing Separately
  • Income from taxable refunds, alimony received, rental income, and farm income.
  • Foreign-earned income.
  • Out of state income.
  • Military income.
  • Foreign Student Taxes

*For returns that are out-of-scope for our site, we are happy to refer you to another “Earn it! Keep it! Save it!” site that will help you find a site capable to complete your return: http://earnitkeepitsaveit.org

To make an appointment to have your taxes prepared, please use our online scheduling system below. If you have questions about your tax appointment, please email us at: legalclinicvita@gmail.com.

BEFORE BOOKING: Make sure to read the appointment system homepage in order to correctly pick the right tax service required for your return. We cannot do out of state tax returns. Only Federal and CA State.

All appointments start on the hour (example: 12 PM, 1 PM, 2 PM). Please show up on time for your appointment or alert us of a cancellation.

Bring ORIGINAL/PRINTED OUT COPIES of the following items to your appointment:


  • Social security card for each family member.
  • Photo ID for all filing members.
  • ALL SOURCES OF INCOME THAT APPLY TO YOU (and your spouse if filing jointly).
    • This forms include but are not limited to the following: W2s (salary income), 1099-INT (interest from your bank), 1098-T (education tuition expenses), 1099-SA (HSA distribution), 1099-R (IRA, 401K, and other retirement distributions), and brokerage statements including the 1099-DIV (dividend income).
  • Your 2016 federal tax return and (2016 tax return is recommended as well).
  • A voided check for direct deposit (get refund in as little as seven days!)